Thursday, July 29, 2010

Balance

The weather is so perfect right now. I'm sitting outside on the balcony at the house, and I took a few pictures but unfortunately I can't capture the breeze.

I'm at home today sort of randomly, usually I go into the office with Darryn but he was only going for a few hours today and so I just decided to work from home. This of course is a bit troublesome because the reason I was tempted to stay home was because I was totally exhausted, so I took a nap this morning. Now I'm in the process of trying to decide to do some work, but now that I'm sitting on the balcony I think I'll actually be able to do it, although of course I'm tempted to watch DVDs, like Heroes, since Linda watched practically the whole first season the other day, or to read or do otherwise relaxing things.

I guess the problem with being "self-employed" or not really having anyone to answer to aka being a Compton fellow is striking a balance between working and not working. I'm still sort of in college mode, where I feel guilty when I'm not stressed, or feel like if I'm not working in the evening then I'm doing something wrong. In college this led to sort of working binges interspersed with periods of not doing any work which still involved thinking of all the work that I had to do. So today, I'm asking myself why it's okay to just decide not to go to the office or why the fact that I was very productive yesterday gives me any reason to be less productive today. I also feel like I want to be a person that works extra hard, but often when it comes down to it I really do want to get enough sleep. I am trying to balance my super high expectations for myself with a total lack of deadlines and enormous flexibility in terms of which aspect of the project I work on at any given time.

ANYWAY. Here are some pictures to keep you entertained:


A couple of views from the balcony, some children washing dishes and Lake Victoria.





The dogs that I live with, they are not allowed inside. Nene did a lot of posing when I was photographing them, but Kiki likes to hide from the camera.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment