Monday, November 22, 2010

World Rabies Day!

On Saturday I helped out with the World Rabies Day dog vaccination campaign - this was supposed to be held on September 28th, but for various reasons was postponed. It was hectic, and crazy, and although my initial role was to ride around and visit the 9 vaccination sites and help out with coordination, at one particular site I got pulled into writing vaccination certificates. Obviously this was the best role for the Mzungu that speaks very minimal Luo, and I'm sure I ended up asking "Your name is dog?" over and over again. Oh well.

The important lesson to be learned from all of this is that people here give their dogs ridiculous names. The most common name seemed to be Michelle, with a Barack or two and a few Obamas. Second most common set of names included Annan and Mugabe, and there was also a good contingent of Osamas and Saddams. My favorite was Tuktuk. Naming a dog after a rattly motor rickshaw taxi seems like a great idea to me.

Okay so here are some pictures of puppies.






More can be found here:

2010-11-20 World Rabies Day




2 comments:

  1. The puppies are SO cute!

    Did you ask, "Your name is dog?" over and over again because you were saying it incorrectly, or is that just how you as "What is your dog's name?"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I was saying it incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete