Monday, February 14, 2011

Scotland is greyt

This past weekend I did some things which I can do in Kenya (lay around in bed; overheard conversations that at first seemed like a language I don't know and then turned out to be English) some things which I maybe can do in Kenya (saw The King's Speech with Brits that didn't know it was about Elizabeth II's father; went shopping and had to deal with huge crowds of people; watched Scotland vs Wales Rugby at a pub), and some things which I definitely can't do in Kenya (stream TV shows over the internet; take the bus from right in front of my house directly to the Royal Botanic Gardens!)

The view of Edinburgh from the Royal Botanic Gardens.


It was great but I did spend more time than usual by myself and I miss all my friends in Kenya. Being somewhere for only a month when everyone else lives there permanently isn't the best way to meet people, especially when there isn't a community of expats that you automatically join by being obviously foreign. Plus my flatmate Amy was busy because her boyfriend was visiting from some only slightly distant place.

On the other hand, I am really enjoying working here, the people are great and focusing on data and programming is a fun change: I did some productive internet stalking to find a guy who may or may not have developed a mobile phone based diagnostic support tool (he agreed to send me more details but hasn't yet), remembered how much I enjoy applied math, and applied said applied math through some R codes.

On the other other hand, I keep forgetting to put on my coat before going outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment