Monday, September 13, 2010

To Hell’s Gate and Back

Hello again. Sorry for the long delay in updating. I've been busy and also used up the credit on my modem so now only have internet access at work (until I buy more credit). This means no facebook either, so don't try to reach me there.

Work is going well – we're going to be expanding our pilot run from 2 villages to 10 villages because we are still not receiving reports. Last week we confirmed that the animal health reporters aren't having trouble other than the fact that the farmers aren't reporting sick animals to them. I think more outreach directly to the farmers will be necessary – hopefully this will happen when we do our participatory epidemiology stuff in the beginning of October. Which is really soon, by the way. Not sure how that happened.

Okay but the interesting stuff to tell you about is my trip to Naivasha/Hell's Gate/Nairobi this weekend! I skipped work on Friday and traveled to Naivasha in the morning to meet up with Theresa from Mpala and a group of VSO volunteers that I got put in touch with through Ricky, an American VSO guy that works in Kisumu. It was super fun to get out of town and meet new people and be outside! We went on a boat ride on Lake Naivasha and saw some hippos and pelicans and a fish eagle. The next day we rented bikes and rode to Hell's Gate National Park which is basically the only park where you are allowed to walk or bike…there are no lions, probably, and apparently the buffalo aren't a problem. It was awesome to just be biking along (even though the bikes were a bit uncomfortable). The road was fairly flat and there were lots of cool rocks and hills and zebras/warthogs/gazelles around. So we biked about 5 km to the gate then 8 km inside the park to get to the rangers post, where we left the bikes to go walk in the gorge. This walk involved a lot of scrambling and sliding and climbing up or down vertical slopes, but we had a really good guide who told us where to step and occasionally lifted up the really high spirited 5 year old that was part of our group. Then luckily we had climbed out of the gorge before it started to pour, so we just had to bike back 13 km in the pouring rain on dirt roads but it was awesome anyway and we had hot showers when we got back which helped even though I had forgotten my towel.

We were staying in the "dorm" at Camp Carnalley's, which was nice the first night but the second night we were joined by a man who claimed Theresa's bed while we were out and then proceeded to cough, grunt, talk, and yell in his sleep all night. Ricky pointed out that maybe he is taking Lariam and having dream-related side effects and so it's not necessarily that he is always a ridiculous sleeptalker.

Okay so then I went to Nairobi to try to find tofu and teff flour but was not successful because I didn't have that much time to look, but I did have lunch at a ridiculously fancy Italian restaurant (I spent a whole $12!!) which was nice but is still not Lebanese. It's strange that I was so excited to go to Nairobi when basically you can get anything you want in Kisumu (except tofu and teff flour, and fancy restaurants) but once I was actually there in the big city I realized it wasn't that exciting, and it's better to live in a place where you don't have to deal with so much traffic!!

Luckily for you, I even have some pictures!



2 comments:

  1. Had an awesome time with you this weekend... sounds like I might be doing elephant identification training at Amboseli in early October then off to Save the Elephants in Samburu for a bit with an NMK intern we're hiring. Keep up the posts and don't forget about what I said about more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your tag, "Lariam side effects."

    This is Carol, by the way. It isn't letting me put my name on the comment for some reason.

    ReplyDelete